1. Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens and be in good health.
2. Education background and age limit:
① Applicants for master's degree studies should have obtained a bachelor's degree and be under the age of 35.
② Applicants for doctoral degree studies should have obtained a master's degree and be under the age of 40.
3. Applicants should not be a registered student in Chinese universities at the time of application (except for those who graduated from Chinese university for one year or longer.)
4. The applicant must have good scientific research ability and good knowledge of specialized courses.
5. Most of master's and doctoral programs at SYSU are taught in Chinese. In principle, the applicants should have a relevant command of Chinese proficiency.
① Those who take the courses of sciences and technology or medical sciences in Chinese should have the certificate of HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) Level 3 or above（or New HSK Level 4, over 180 points）；
② Those who intend to major in liberal arts (major for Chinese language exclusive), economics, managerial science and international trade should have the certificate of HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) Level 6 or above (or New HSK Level 5, over 180 points).
③ For those whose Chinese proficiency level have not met the requirements and wish to take Chinese-taught courses before major studies commence, they are expected to have obtained the new HSK Level 4 for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts, or Level 3 for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine. Only by passing the required new HSK test within the year could they start their major studies.
6. The applicant must be in good behavior with no bad hobbies.
Note: This scholarship is not available to students majoring in one’s native languages or in a third-country language such as English or French etc.