Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU) is an important base for conducting scientific research, inheriting cultural and academic traditions and training high-level talents in South China. Being one of the leading universities in China and the world as well, SYSU is a comprehensive multi-disciplinary university. It enjoys a profound tradition of international cooperation and exchange in education with universities outside its home country. To improve its educational influence in the region in an overall way and to attract more students from all over the world, SYSU has set up the “Undergraduate Scholarship Programme for International Students”, in support of outstanding students from countries along the Belt and Road to pursue bachelor’s degrees at SYSU.
(1) Applicants should be non-Chinese with a valid foreign passport, and meet requirements in the “Notice of Regulating Admission of International Students in Colleges and Universities” (83).
(2) Applicants should be in good health and aged between 18 to 25 (date of birth between 1stJanuary, 1994 to 30thAugust, 2001).
(3) Applicants should be friendly towards China, law-abiding, studious and well-conducted, without any records of violation of Chinese laws, regulations or school rules.
(4) Applicants should be high school graduates, with their grades ranking among the top, or with excellence in social services, sports, music, cultural activities or leadership.
(5) Language Proficiency:
(6) Applicants should obtain a recommendation letter issued by the recommendation institutions* (refer to Appendix 1 for details) and be responsible for its authenticity.
(1) Online application:
Before 1stMarch, 2019, applicants should submit all application documents to the recommendation institutions in their home countries to obtain recommendation letters. Between 1stMarch, 2019 and 30thApril, 2019, they should sign up onhttp://sysu.17gz.org, sign in to fill in the application form under the “SYSU scholarship” programme in an accurate and complete manner, and upload scanned copies of all supporting documents as required (Only PDF, JPG, JPEG and PNG files are acceptable, and each file size should not exceed 2MB).To complete the application, applicants should click the “submit” button.
All supporting documents and requirements are as follows (Those supporting documents that are not in Chinese or English should be accompanied by a formal certified translation in Chinese or English):
|1||Passport biographical page||1. A scanned colour copy should be submitted.
2. Applicants staying in China at the time of application should provide the scanned colour copy of passport pages with the Chinese visa and entry seal.
3. Applicants who have not yet been granted a passport at the time of application can upload a scanned copy of their identity documents. They should apply for a passport in their own countries afterwards, and send a scanned copy of their passport biographical pages to firstname.lastname@example.org before1thJune, 2019.
|2||Graduation certificate of the highest level of education||1. Applicants in their last year of high school should submit a pre-graduation certificate provided by their schools.
2. Applicants who have graduated from high school should submit their high school graduation certificates.
|3||Transcripts from the highest level of education||1. Applicants in their last year of high school should submit transcripts of all courses taken provided by their schools.
2. Applicants who have graduated from high school should submit transcripts of all courses taken during all the three school years and transcripts of the high school exit examination.
3. Applicants can also submit scores of international standardized tests, including SAT, ACT, A-level, AP and IB.
|4||Language Proficiency Certificate||Applicants can refer to “Entrance Requirements” for more details.|
|5||Recommendation letter||Applicants should upload recommendation letters from the recommendation institutions.
Note: Institutions which have recommended more than one student should send a name list of all applicants recommended to email@example.com before 30thApril, 2018.
|6||Personal statement||Personal Statement should be written in Chinese or English and might include a self-introduction, memorable learning experience, interests and hobbies, learning purposes, career plans after graduation, and so on.|
|7||Other supporting documents||Award Certificates or Experience Certificates|
Apart from all the above supporting documents, applicants should also submit all other supporting documents or information accordingly as required by SYSU.
(1) Liberal Arts, Economics and Managerial Science Majors: RMB 56,000 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 26,000 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year)
(2) Science and Engineering Majors: RMB 63,800 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 33,800 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year)
(3) Medical Science Majors: RMB 78,000 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 48,000 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year)
The tuition fee in the scholarship will be deducted directly; thus the scholarship recipient won’t have to pay for the tuition fee. Accommodation fee and comprehensive insurance for international students will be deducted from the living allowance in the scholarship, and the remaining amount will be transferred to the individual bank account of the recipient every month after enrolment and registration. However, the recipient shall be responsible for the fees of visa application, round-trip air tickets and physical examination, and all other fees.
(1) In principle, the scholarship will cover the normal study period of the undergraduate programme.
(2) Scholarship recipients without adequate Chinese language proficiency must take a Chinese preparatory course for one academic year, but the scholarship will cover the normal study period of the undergraduate programme and the period of the Chinese preparatory course as well.
(3) A scholarship review will be carried out by the university annually to assess the recipients’ academic and overall performance. Only recipients who pass the review can receive the scholarship funding in the following academic year.
(1) After the application deadline, SYSU will organize a panel of experts to review the application documents and admit applicants on the overall assessment of their scores and all other supporting documents. During the process, long-distance or face-to-face interviews will be conducted, if necessary.
(2) In June, 2019, pre-admission results will be sent to applicants via emails and the application website.
(3) In July, 2019, after the confirmation of the Admission List, admission materials will be posted to scholarship recipients according to the postal addresses provided by the recipients on the application system. Scanned copies of the materials will also be available after contact with SYSU.
(4) The admitted applicants should apply for X1 visa from the Chinese Embassy with their Admission Letter and the Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW201/202). The X1 visa holders must go through residential formalities in the local public security departments within thirty days of entry into China. Otherwise, the admitted applicants will face expulsion. Besides, SYSU won’t accept registration of students without a valid student visa.
(5) The admitted applicant must register according to the date and the campus in the Admission Letter.
Tel: 0086-20-84110819/ 84112480
Address: Office for International Students’ Affairs, Sun Yat-sen University, No. 135, Xingang Xi Road, Guangzhou, P. R. China.
Zip Code: 510275